Tuesday 19 December 2023

Diary of (not yet) a CEO. Entry No001

 



BROAD OVERVIEW APPROACH (AREA ONE) CENTERS ON:
ENTERPRISE PURPOSE AND AMBITIOUS OBJECTIVES, DRIVING YOUR COMPANY'S EXPANSION, GRASPING YOUR MARKET'S POTENTIAL, AND YOUR OFFERINGS IN PRODUCTS AND SERVICES.

It is true that I have been flexible, utilitarian, as a consultant / coach I have rarely been fixed on a particular product or service, but instead flexible to the circumstances and needs of the client(s). I have been a wholesaler providing services at trade-price which others resell with a mark-up between 25% to 100% and this has suited me. I've not been great at brand, sales or networking and happy to leave that to others, and just focus on doing the task, the job, the work that needs doing.

I now think that perhaps I should pick a product, a service or a market and focus 100% on that. But which? I help people and organisations achieve their goals. That combines consulting, facilitation, project management, training, support, governance, contract and data management etc. But is not obviously one product or one market.

MARKET ENTRY STRATEGY (AREA TWO) CONCENTRATES ON:
CLIENT INTERACTION EXPERIENCE, PROMOTION AND MESSAGING, AND EXPANDING BUSINESS AND SALES.

It is true that I have allowed others to do the all these elements, with me simply working as an Associate or Sub-Contractor. So this will be a key challenge for me since I don't regard this as a key strength and have intentionally avoided growing to avoid this. I have instead been a 'lifestyle business' rather than one seeking more clients, more work and recruitment.

This is an area I plan to change in 2024, on the basis that relying upon other people may not be the best strategy and although I am very pro-collaboration and keen on co-production, perhaps I need to be more active than passive in business development.

FACILITATING ACHIEVEMENT (AREA THREE) FOCUSES ON:
HIRING, NURTURING AND KEEPING TALENT, OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY, LEVERAGING TECHNOLOGY, FINANCE, AND BUSINESS GOVERNANCE.

Ironically as someone who has been an Associate or Sub-Contractor I know the industry well and there is no reason I cannot build a business with other Associates or Sub-Contractors. As previously stated I am I am very pro-collaboration and keen on co-production.

INTENTIONAL LEADERSHIP (AREA FOUR) HIGHLIGHTS:
YOURSELF IN LEADERSHIP ROLES AND MANAGING FROM AFAR.

It is true that I am not a leader. I am sometimes opinionated, but not a leader. Ironically as a consultant / coach / project manager I am part of the support-team for leaders. I am often hired by top leadership to help them and help their organisations. I don't try to be at the top, to command or control, I am instinctively happy managing, making sure things get done. Many of the athletes I work with win national championships and a some of the leaders I work with have won IoD Director of the year. I am happy for them to be leaders.

Perhaps becoming a leader (rather than an Associate or Sub-Contractor) will be the most difficult thing for me in 2024.

INDIVIDUAL EVOLUTION (AREA FIVE) IS ABOUT:
ALLOCATING TIME FOR PERSONAL CONTEMPLATION, UNDERSTANDING YOUR UNIQUE IDENTITY, ALIGNING YOUR HEALTH AND FINANCIAL WELL-BEING, AND BEING YOUR OWN GUIDE TO PEAK PERFORMANCE.

I actually think, despite the text above, I am good at this element. My success may be modest but I've been self-employed on a contract or consulting basis since 2013, I am a 4 x GB Gold Medallist, have a happy family and time to read, learn and participate in helping charities or organisations like Jersey Policy Centre, Man Club, Confluence Circles etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment